“It is not enough to be good. Altrusans must be good for something.”
— from the Principles of Altrusa by Mamie L. Bass
Altrusa is a service organization dedicated to building a stronger community through Service, Partnership, Leadership, Friendship & Fun.
Altrusa International of Gig Harbor was chartered in 1981. Our members participate in a variety of activities that support Gig Harbor's children. Altrusa projects include:
- $100,000 raised for the Boys & Girls Club commercial kitchen
- Scholarships for the Peninsula Youth Orchestra and new music stands
- Million Cookie Challenge to send cookies to our overseas troops
- Purses and toiletries donated to the Purdy Prison Purse Program
- Make a Difference Day Children's Book Drive
- Mother's Day Jewelry Sale
INTRODUCING OUR 2016 FUNDRAISING PROJECT
Empty Bowls is a grassroots effort to raise money and awareness in the fight to end hunger. Altrusa and the Empty Bowls event are raising funds to provide Summer Food Scholarships through the Boys & Girls Club. Empty Bowls diners purchase a simple meal of soup and bread, choose an artisan-made bowl, and take home the bowl as a reminder that there is hunger in our community.
Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016
11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
The Gig Harbor Boys & Girls Club
8502 Skansie Avenue NW, Gig Harbor
Did you know . . .
During the school year, as many as 2,200 school-age children qualify for free or reduced price lunches in Peninsula School District--hat equals one in four kids. In most of the surrounding communities there are summer lunch programs; however, there are none in Gig Harbor.